A Short History

Lans Biscuit WalkBedford Physical Training College was founded in 1903 by Margaret Stansfeld in Wylam Lodge, 37, Lansdowne Road. Miss Stansfeld chose to name the College Bedford Physical Training College reflecting both the title of the subject taught in school, and the location of the institution.

Born on March 10th 1860, Miss Stansfeld went to school in Bloomsbury where headmistress, Miss Sibley, encouraged the young Margaret to become a 'pupil' teacher. The pioneering ideas in physical training of Madame Bergman Osterberg inspired Margaret and she became one of the very first women to study in this new field.

Per Hendrik Ling's new, very pure gymnastics system focused on the remedial and educational values of gymnastic exercise. It was usually performed in lines or unison. During 1899, Miss Stansfeld played a key role in founding the Ling Association, an organisation for trained gymnastics teachers to develop professional standards and values. She was to become its first President.

The Ling Association established a Gym Teacher Diploma and BPTC was inspected and recognised for the examination in 1906.

 

Historic Timeline

     

2006 - Present Day

University of Bedfordshire

 

2006: Department of Physical Education, School of Physical Education and Sport Sciences. Faculty of Education and Contemporary Studies. University of Bedfordshire

The most recent change in this saga took place in 2006 when we became part of the University of Bedfordshire. To date we retain our status as a Department in the School of Physical Education and Sports Studies.

     
     

2004 - 2006

De Montfort University Bedford

 

2004: Department of Physical Education, School of Physical Education and Sport Sciences. Faculty of Education and Contemporary Studies. De Montfort University Bedford

With the appointment of a new Dean in Bedford the Faculty was re-named the Faculty of Education and Contemporary Studies and the Physical Education Department became one of the two departments in the School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences. The change made in 2000 was reversed with Physical Education separating from Education and once again sitting alongside Sport.
   
   
     
   

2000: Physical Education Division, School of Education, Bedford Faculty, De Montfort University Bedford

Physical Education separated from Sport and became a Division of the School of Education. This change acknowledged the problems created in 1996 and provided a good base from which to present the Secondary B.Ed to OFSTED.

     
   

1998: School of Physical Education Sport and Leisure. Bedford Faculty. De Montfort University Bedford

A further re-structuring of the University saw the creation of a Bedford Faculty – we now became a School in this Faculty

     
   

1996: School of Physical Education, Sport and Leisure. Faculty of Health and Social Sciences. De Montfort University Bedford

With a re-structuring of the University we became part of the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences. However the work at Lansdowne was recognised as worthy of separate identification and the former Department was upgraded to School status. The name was retained to reflect the breadth of work of the School. Responsibility for the Secondary PE B.Ed Degree was divided between the School of PE, Sport and Leisure and the School of Education which, in the event, brought about a range of issues, not least in respect of funding.

     
   

1994: Department of Physical Education, Sport and Leisure. School of Humanities, Sport and Education. De Montfort University Bedford.

The Faculty of Higher Education became part of De Montfort University. It was renamed the School of Humanities, Sport and Education. The work at Lansdowne retained its departmental title under the new regime.

     
     

1976 - 1994

Bedford College of Higher Education.

 

1990: Department of Physical Education, Sport and Leisure. Faculty of Higher Education. Bedford College of Higher Education.

New Government funding made it essential that the Higher Education sector of the College should gain some independence and work collaboratively with another HEI. In a move to facilitate this potential partnership the higher education was grouped together into one Faculty. Work at Lansdowne included degrees in Teaching, Sports Studies and Leisure Studies and the title of the Department was chosen to reflect this range of work.

     
   

1976: School of Human Movement Studies, Bedford College of Higher Education.

Following the James Report and the Government White paper entitled Education: A Framework for Expansion (1972), it was clear that small mono-technic institutions would be non-viable. After protracted negotiations, Bedford College of Physical Education merged with Bedford College and Mander College. The newly named Bedford College of Higher Education was structured into nine schools. The choice of Movement Studies as a School title reflects the academic demands now made on all HEIs. Study of Physical Education was now seen in the broader context of the study of related disciplines, such as sports biomechanics and the sociology of sport.

     
     

1952 - 1976

Bedford College of Physical Education

 

Bedford College of Physical Education

In 1952 the College was sold to the Local Authority and adopted a new name. This was in line with developments in school. In 1945 the Department of Education had taken over responsibility for physical activity and 'Physical Training' was changed to 'Physical Education'.

     
     

1930 - 1952

Bedford Physical Training College Ltd

 

Bedford Physical Training College Ltd

This change reflected the development that the College was now owned and run by a Board of Directors, being the staff of the College

     
     

1903 - 1930

Bedford Physical Training College

 

Bedford Physical Training College

As a private institution owned by Miss Stansfeld the College was named in accordance with the subject taught in school – Physical Training. At this time this aspect of the curriculum was the responsibility of the Department of Health. It is perhaps of interest to note that Miss Stansfeld used 'Bedford' in the title of the College – not her own name.